Horny and Holy at the Same Time
Inside every one of us is both good and evil. I think this is part of what makes us complete as humans. It takes mindfulness and wisdom to be able to recognize the evil inside and accept it as part of us. If we can't love the monsters we are inside, then how can we fully love ourselves and others? Lust, greed, anger, fear, ignorant ways of thinking, judging - just to name a few of the seeds of evil in us. These qualities are a part of nature, a part of human nature. God/Devil, Buddha/Mara. Just as the Devil tempted Jesus, Mara tempted the Buddha.
Hating our evil side just gives power to that evil energy and makes us miserable. Recognizing evil in ourselves and having a peaceful relationship with it turns arrows into flowers. I can smile when I clearly see Mara! Oh I know you! I won't be fooled into believing.
Of course, self-discipline and self-restraint is just as important as clear seeing. Evil can only harm us as much as we allow it to drive our thoughts, actions and words. Mara is welcome to visit but we don't have to believe in those stories and temptations. We breathe them in and we breathe them out. We can say "Wow, that's interesting!" We can smile.
Good and evil exist together in harmony. It is a beautiful mess, both inside ourselves and out in the world. It is OK to love all of it.
The Demons of Defilement
"They laugh, they cry at the same time. They get horny and holy at the same time..."
My Head Feels Like a Frisbee - Shpongle

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home